Thread: Looking for Advice Before Purchase

Looking for Advice Before Purchase

I have never had a camper before and am considering purchasing a new travel trailer for my family of five. We like the outdoors but also like the comforts of home (a/c,hot water, soft bed, bathroom, ect.). There seems to be a huge swing in pricing from brand to brand and I can not see a huge difference between most of the units. Any advice on what is important to look for and what to avoid would be helpful. I'm hoping to make a decision soon so that we can enjoy the rest of the summer camping.

Re: Looking for Advice Before Purchase

Letís face it, a travel trailer or other RV could be one of the biggest investments you gonna ever make. So be careful when you select yours that you get the right one.

Yes, if buying a new one, please take the time to read and understand the warranty, what is the responsibility of the seller, and who pays in case of road failure.

Pay particular attention to warranty on "slide outs" if contained, and the appliances.
    Second, don't take the word of any sales person regarding the capacity of the tow vehicle, get the information from the vehicle dealer and the people that install the hitches and tow packages, as the RV dealers will tell you most anything to make the sale.

If buying from a private owner, look very careful for any water damage, on ceilings, in closets and lower side walls, and check roof condition for possible repairs.

I agree buying used can be tricky, i would advise taking a friend that owns a camper to shop with you after you have narrowed your selection. If they own a camper they should have a good idea of the common pitfalls. If you are looking to buy new, let the dealers educate you on the features and then decide which features are most important to you. For example, if you camp when or where it's cold outside-look at a camper with a "polar package". One of the things i found to be helpful was to look at resale values of used campers. If brand x lost 50% of its original value in 2 years and brand y only lost 15% that in its self is probably a good indicator to buy brand y. Their are differences in building materials (flooring) and subtle differences in things like ceiling height to look out for. Good Luck!

Well we did it. Here are pictures of our new to us slightly used 2009 Zinger ZT31SB. This is not a top of the line unit but has all of the things that we were looking for at a very affordable price. Thanks for everones advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a great unit. I'm sure you and your family will have lots of fun.

You have purchased a very nice unit and will enjoy the experience of RVing verymuch. If you purchased your unit from a local dealer then get to know the lead service person as he can be a valuable resource to help you take care of the preventative maintenance tips to keep your unit in top notch condition.
    Dave & Pam Oshawa Canada
    TT 2010 Shadow Cruiser
    TV 2004 Pacifica
    Dave & Pam Oshawa
    TT 2010 Shadow Cruiser S-195 WBS
    TV 2004 Chysler Pacifica 3.5 Litre

Thread Information