Thread: Natchez Trace

Natchez Trace

We intend to travel the Natchez Trace from south to north in early April.
    Does anyone have any experience with this route or any suggestions of where to stay?

Re: Natchez Trace

In May of 2011, I had the pleasure of driving about 40 miles on the Trace, northbound to just a bit North of the Tennessee River. This is one of the most beautiful drives you can imagine, if you like 40 MPH on a flat but winding two-lane blacktop, lots of trees and greenery, and landscaping that tries to hide civilization from view. Alabama has tried to eliminate all grade crossings, railroad tracks and freeways from your Trace driving experience. That also means that you need to look carefully for the Trace access points. I noticed a few scenic point pull-offs, but didn't notice any RV parking. Of course, maybe that 40 miles wasn't typical, but I intend to get back to Alabama and try it when I have more time. IIRC, the Trace runs from Natchez MS to Knoxville TN, so I hope that MS & TN did as nice a job as AL did on their portion.
    I don't know much about that area anymore, but my old family home, the oldest building in Florence AL, is now a museum run by the Daughters of the Confederacy. Google Pope's Tavern / Lambeth Home; drop my name and pay the admission, and they will welcome you in!

Ed Price
    El Cajon, CA

Re: Natchez Trace

Thank you for the update.
    We are looking forward to this trip.
    We travel about 8,000 miles on interstates annually so this will be a pleasant diversion.

Thread Information